meandering creativity, symbols and emotion

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Passive-Aggressive Social Media

Hiding the status updates of annoying people on Facebook is the most awesomely passive-aggressive past-time you can have these days! I love it.

Here are my favorite reasons:
  1. Hyperbolic political links: this is bipartisan annoyance both my lefties and righties do it. Good Morning - HIDE!
  2. Lame game updates: farm lulz, vampire hoo-ha, mafia retards! Thankfully I can hide just the application so I still see regular updates.
  3. Wall-to-Wall kissyface with your significant other: No one cares how much you love and miss your boo while they're at work - what we really want to hear is how you're going to totally go down on them later! If you have to choose between being publicly sappy or publicly sexy, always go for the sex!
That said - Facebook could really use a forgiveness option with hiding updates.

Sure you were irritating but maybe I hid you because I was having a bad week, wasn't able to swallow my annoyance, ignore your inane quiz updates about which Twilight character you are, and let it go. Maybe I'm the one who needs to do the work in my own heart to deal with the reality that you're a dolt.

It's tough medicine - don't I know it! But I don't mind doing the work because it's worth it! At the end of the day if I'm not honest with myself about annoying people then I'm not being true to anyone. And isn't that what matters the most?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I will start talking about sex on Michael's FB page WAY MORE now. But my frustration is that if I HIDE on my Facebook it doesn't necessarily hide on my mobile FB updater.

    ReplyDelete

older